Professing * Reflecting

Friday, June 17, 2005

Project Bootstrap

Even though I have never been able to provide a workable visual within the realm of physical reality for my father's favorite bit of metaphorical wisdom--"It's time to pull yourself up by your bootstraps, Med"--I am going to try to actualize it. I have been torturing my father about this advice since I was about ten, when I (always needing the literal picture) first asked, "How is that even possible? What exactly would that look like?".

I am going to try to track what it looks like, at least figuratively, by posting what is going on professionally (i.e. progress on the article) and emotionally (i.e. progress on The Grand Breakup) at various points. I think this will help me, and I hope it doesn't make for boring posts. Maybe I can even finally crack the code of how to be that person who weathers the emotional storms caused by the (apparently ever-present) firm of Fuckwit, Wanker, and Sons (protecting the interests of the Death Grip of Super Masculinity into the 21st century) by doing her work.

Emotional barometric pressure: Woke up with following Aimee Mann lyric in my head, "At least you know you were taken by a pro." Briefly felt stupid for being taken at all. Then congratulated myself for not having reached the bitter state that would have made it impossible for me to be taken. Imagined creating minor novel character with his odd physical characteristics and off-putting personality traits. Imagined good review of novel in TLS, praising its savviness as a roman a clef.

Professional plan for the day: 4-5 hours writing/reading. Cull material from long version of conference paper. Start writing theoretical section. Read relevant material for theory section as necessary. Try to work at home but head to coffee shop or office if work stalls.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home