Professing * Reflecting

Saturday, October 06, 2007

A report on my Dickens

As I reported a couple of weeks ago, I lost my Dickens but then found it hiding in the hallway with the kiddie lit and Pope. Wol popped in to say "hello" for the Great Mofo Delurk 2007 and wondered which Dickens I had decided to re-read.

Well. You see, before I had even lost my Dickens, I decided--based on various predictions and recommendations regarding the winter, gathered from sources such as my old Portuguese neighbor (who was raised on boats), the Farmer's Almanac 2008, and my own inner Eeyore (who suffers from S.A.D. and should probably permanently wear one of those therapeutic light visors)--not to take any chances with the winter blues/comfort-inducing effects of Dickens ratio and therefore to re-read (naturally) Bleak House. But the night I lost my Dickens, I still had to re-read something to fend off the chill and brace myself for the season. Anna Karenina Ni-na-ni-na turned out to be the obvious substitute. The next day I found my Dickens, AND to make matters worse my copy of Eat Pray Love (brought to my attention by Dr. Crazy) came in the mail.

So, you got it, now I am attempting a simultaneous reading of Anna Karenina Ni-na-ni-na, Bleak House, and Eat Pray Love. I feel like no good can come of it, like the time in graduate school when I completely intertwined White Noise and The Counterlife in my head and almost wrote a seminar paper about Nathan Zuckerman's multivalent fear of Mr. Gray and Nyodene D (not that that wouldn't have been a totally brilliant paper). On the other hand, I feel like Eat Love Ni-na-ni-na Bleak Anna might be just the kind of super literary comfort food combo I need to face the winter.

Labels:

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home