Professing * Reflecting

Sunday, March 25, 2007

I heart my liver

Every so often, I will do a "detox," which means not drinking a drop of alcohol or taking any medication (ibuprofen, Benadryl, etc.) for 1-2 weeks. During these times, I also drink lots of this milk thistle, licorice root, ginger, star anise fruit tea that is supposed to cleanse the liver. I also cut way down on sugar as a nod to the pancreas.

I am in Day Seven of one such detox (totally necessary, as last conference was particularly pickling) and feeling all groovy and health-conscious and virtuous and zen-like about the temple that is my body. But here's the thing. All the while, I have a nagging, certain knowledge of my true motive: more than anything, I do the detoxing ritual with the idea that it will keep my liver functioning properly for a lifetime of the drink.

That still counts as healthy living, right?

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home