Professing * Reflecting

Monday, November 17, 2008

All she wrote

I do know how to write a dramatic subject line, don't I? No, it's not all over in terms of the tenure stuff, my career, etc. Or if it is I do not know and will not know for many moons. I do know a pathologically narcissistic sociopath is involved, so, you know, I am not feeling as secure as one might (as if one might even feel secure under any circumstances during this process, as ozma tragi-hilariously describes here).

Anyway . . ."all she wrote" as in I am, as of this morning, done done done DONE writing (and sending) job applications. I am done done done DONE writing about myself and what I've done and why I am good at what I do and why I do what I do and why I want to do what I do and why I deserve to keep doing what I am doing and what makes me an ideal candidate for blah blah blah blah blah blah fuckity blah. Umpteen job letters on top of the 500-page portfolio? Yeah. All she wrote. Really not so much up for representing myself in grand and great detail for a good long time after this. A little of this type of writing is okay, even affirming. Months and months and pages and pages of it? Not so much. Done, I say.

Of course, this will make it indeed awkward if I do get a job interview, because I swear to god I might say something like, "Yes, well, normally I really would like to say a little bit more about my teaching style and the connections between my research and teaching and where my research is going, but would ya'll mind if we talked about something other than me? For instance, that Badiou. Non-universal universals? Interesting stuff, right? Or True Blood, that new vampire show on HBO? OOOH! Or Mad Men?!? How broody is that Jon Hamm? Right? Hey, are you on Facebook?".

Which reminds me, it is about that time of year for many of us to watch the brilliance that is this.

Labels: ,

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home