Professing * Reflecting

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

A week since I posted? (Guilt-ridden rant)

I wish I could say that I have been working, getting ready for the holidays, perhaps planning next semester's new course, placing book orders, etc . . . but no, no, no, and no. Maybe today's horoscope, which I think is about a week late, will provide some insight into why I have been partying like a rockstar rather than professing:

Here is your horoscope for Wednesday, November 24:

Your usual daily routine will be disrupted, possibly because of the appearance of someone new and exciting from out of town. Needless to say, you won't mind the interruption. You may even plan for it to happen again soon.


Feste is not "someone new" but his return from California, where he has been living, was exciting and did disrupt my daily routine for a full four days. Four days of playing and not working AT ALL?? Insanity. Must not happen during the semester. Did happen.

Luckily, I had a light week of teaching this week. I actually have a week off now. Unfortunately, I have about three weeks of work to do before I return. Mountains of grading. Volumes of reading. Courses to plan. Books to order. I had also planned to clean my house, service my car, Christmas shop, attend various parties . . .In short, I have screwed (literally and figuratively) myself out of a holiday.

How is this my life? How am I this person? Why do I veer crazily from extreme (working like a madwoman) to extreme (blowing off work entirely)? Why can't I be steady and responsible?

I actually could be writing some juicy posts about my wildly irresponsible behavior with Feste and Demetrius and our whole incestuous crew--behavior worthy of a Shakespearean subplot--but I feel too guilty. Oh the angst. Is is really necessary?

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home